tanksEnvironmental permitting for new developments is more and more often being worked into project schedules and addressed in a comprehensive manner.  I find, however, that for small projects in existing facilities, required permits are often times overlooked.  One of particular importance is a hazardous material tank permit.  State requirements vary.  In Kentucky, hazardous material tanks are managed by the State Fire Marshal’s Office through the Office of Housing, Buildings and Construction, Division of Fire Prevention, Hazardous Materials Section.  Applications and information are located on their website.

Permits are required for installation and modification of both underground and aboveground petroleum and hazardous material storage tanks.  This includes reconfiguration of piping and tank repairs in addition to tank replacement.  Businesses don’t always think of small fuel tanks as something that require a permit, but even 50 gallon indoor fuel tanks are required to be permitted.  The permit requirements for tank capacity and tank product are listed in table 1.12.19(a) in 2003 edition of NFPA 1 Fire Prevention Code.  Some examples are:
• Class IA, IB, IC, II & IIIA liquids – excess of 25 gallons inside of a building & excess of 100 gallons outside a building; and
• Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) – LPG tanks for the installation or modification of a tank for the use of storage, handling or dispensing of LPG in the capacity of 125 gallons or greater.

Permit applications are typically completed by the contractor prior to tank modification or installation.  Kentucky requires a certification for underground petroleum storage tank contractors.  There is no similar Kentucky certification for above-ground storage tanks.  A qualified contractor, however, will be familiar with applicable mechanical and fire protection codes.  Appropriate tank selection, grounding, venting, and spill protection are imperative to prevent accidents.

Smith Management Group works with manufacturing companies to assist with environmental permitting for new projects.  Additionally, we routinely prepare spill prevention and control plans, emergency response plans, and pollution prevention plans.  Please contact me for more information at PattyM@smithmanage.com or 502-587-6482 x211.

Photo credit:  EPA, http://www.epa.gov/safewater/sourcewater/pubs/fs_swpp_ast.pdf